Friday, December 30, 2011

DIY No-Knit Christmas Stockings


Free People Christmas Stocking
When the mister and I began decorating for our first Christmas in our own home a few years ago, I fell head over heels for the most beautiful Christmas Stockings from the company Free People. So colorful! So unique! Such texture!

Alas, Free People is never within my budget, so I aspired to make my own versions of their lovely stockings. After all, part of what makes their stockings so lovely is that they look so darn homemade.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to knit. Fortunately, I didn't have to. Instead, I used scarves that my puppy had damaged and sweaters from the thrift store. I'm not terribly good at sewing, but as long as you can manage a basic stitch, this project is super easy to do!


NO KNIT CHRISTMAS STOCKINGS DIY

Materials:

My Homemade Christmas Stockings
1. A Sweater or Scarf in a cute pattern
2. A Needle and Thread (or yarn, floss, twine, string, etc.)
3. Baubles for decoration (ribbons, bells, pompoms, or whatever)

Instructions:
1. Cut up your scarf or sweater into a sock shape, leaving enough material to do this twice.

2. Stitch together the pieces to make one functional sock, obviously leaving the top open for insertion of goodies. If you stitch neatly and turn it inside out, good for you. But messy stitches on the outside look charming too. Just make certain it's strong enough to hold together when it's filled with little presents.

3. Apply baubles to make it festive and amazing. I think a psychotic application of an obscene amount of ribbons and pompoms is perfectly acceptable. I kept the Mister's fairly simple (left) and went a little nuts on the ribbons for my own (right).




Now, if only I had a proper fireplace to hang them from...


1 comment: