Friday, January 13, 2012

Craft Painting Roses

I don't think of my paintings as decorations. They may decorate someone's walls, but I hope there is more to them than that. Craft painting, though, is meant entirely as decoration and normally relies on formulas. Think roses on trinket boxes or a pattern painted on a tabletop, or a vine and pansies painted on a glass bottle. I have nothing against craft painting, but it's never seemed particularly relevant to me and what I do. Until now.

You see, I'm working on a rather large portrait of a girl and I'd like for her to be standing in front of a wall with pretty rose patterned wallpaper. So, I needed to learn to make said roses. A lot of them. Quickly. And all about the same shape and size. Without agonizing over each one.

I turned to YouTube and found this amazing video. And, voila! Here are my very first craft painting roses! Each rose takes about 15 seconds from start to finish.




Obviously, I'll take more care with their blending when incorporating them into a final painting, but I still don't imagine they'll take more than a minute each. I can live with that. I'm now thinking of all sorts of uses for my new skill, most of which involve covering all of my walls and furniture with painted roses. But, I'm trying to resist for the Mister's sake.
And, I shall not show you the large painting until it's complete, but here's a tiny little peek of my girl: 

Portrait of a Girl with Book, early draft sneak peek.

Do you notice the little ringlets by her cheek? How terribly exciting! She still needs an awful lot of work before she's entirely presentable, but I hope to get her done by the end of this holiday weekend. 

Until next time, please visit my gallery or shop (you know, to keep the dream alive and feed a starving artist)!

19 comments:

Pointy Pix said...

the roses are wonderful (I'm at work sneaking into paint party friday so can't look at the video to see how they were done just yet but I definitely want to as they look so realistic!

Looking forward to seeing your painting when it's finished.

Carol L McKenna said...

Lovely well created roses ~ painting looks very intriquing ~~ namaste, carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF

La Abela said...

The color of the Roses is very good and the adorable face. Saludos

Gloria said...

Love your rose and I'll have to look at that video when time allows. Thanks for sharing. Good job done.

Netty said...

Beautiful roses and loving the sneak peak of the great face. Happy PPF, Annette x

Carol said...

Can't wait to see the painting!!!

Christine said...

love your roses, have to go look at that video!

Helen Campbell said...

Wonderful roses. I'm anxious to see the final painting! Happy PFF!

Daniele Valois said...

really pretty roses!!!

Mary C. Nasser said...

Wonderful roses that will make perfect patterned wallpaper!
Lovely!

Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art

Mandy said...

Flower is so pretty and your girl is so cute ..she looks petite ...xxx

*jean* said...

beautiful! thanks for the vid link! happy PPF!

Beadwright said...

The roses are perfect and I didn't notice the wrinkles until you mentioned them. The face is beyond beautiful.
Nicole/Beadwright

Belinda Carson said...

So very pretty! Thank you so much for sharing your work!
Belinda

Maria Ontiveros said...

Wow - that face is looking gorgeous! And seems very reflective of the roses.
Rinda

art2cee2 said...

The roses and face are beautiful! I can't wait to see where you go from here! :-)

wednesday said...

Brilliant idea for learning to paint the wallpaper. I love the tantalizing little peak at her face.

SHERI C said...

I love ROSES! I can't believe you made them so fast! Great job!
Happy PPF!
Sheri Cook
HappyHorseStudio

Sunshineshelle said...

I'll be 'sneaking' back for another peak & the roses are just so delicate & beautifully realised :)