Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ode to Shortbread

When I visited London, the hotel I stayed in left a little free treat basket in the closet that they refilled each day. Since I was desperately short on funds during my stay, I pretty much survived on that basket alone. It contained little packets of fake coffee (better than no coffee at all! But I looked for the mini coffee pot for 20 minutes with the packet clenched in my caffeine deprived fist before realizing that it was reconstituted and meant to be mixed with water, not brewed), hot cocoa, mints, and shortbread.

Oh, shortbread. How is it possible I'd never encountered this miracle biscuit before? I fell in love. It is food for the gods!

With no generous hotel staff to sneak a constant supply into my house each day, I have since learned to make my own. I was shocked at how easy and simple it is to make something so delicious.


Quite Delicious Shortbread Biscuits
Ingredients:
1 cups butter, softened, not melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
Stir in vanilla.
Mix in flour.
Roll out dough between two sheets of plastic wrap (to prevent sticking).
Cut into charming little shapes of your choosing.
Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until some of them start to look slightly golden around the edges.
Dip daintily in coffee and then devour them all ravenously.

1 comment:

  1. Shortbread has to be one of the best inventions of Britain - so dangerously delicious. This post has had me craving it all day!

    ReplyDelete