Sunday, June 3, 2012

Late Spring Garden






Vegetable gardens in May are terribly unimpressive. I have these big mounds of dirt and straw and these tiny little seedlings hiding here and there. And, I have no idea if any of it will survive or produce anything I can eat. All of that dirt attracts weeds and in Denver, those tiny little seedlings need a stupid amount of water from my hose and constant attention to survive. Yet, even in May, the squirrels and birds and beetles have marked this garden as breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My war with urban nature has begun. May is fun for planting and then lame in its waiting and maintenance.

Happily, time marches on. And, I know from past experience that even if some of my plants remain unimpressive, others will suddenly explode into crazy bundles of bounty. Right? Right? It's so hard to tell at this stage... A gardener needs either faith or patience and preferably a bit of both.

I'm pretty sure my peas were supposed to sprout a month ago. But, they took their time popping up and have been sitting there not really growing anymore for the last week. Come on, peas!

I planted beans because gardens are supposed to have beans and beans are really healthy to eat and they're supposed to be good for the soil too. I don't actually like beans. I'm hoping the mister will eat them all if they survive.

Ah, pumpkins. Pumpkins are nearly impossible to kill and are very little work until the fall when I'll have to battle the squirrels for each and every one. I'll have to get an Acme catalog and set up elaborate booby traps. I have no trouble mustering up faith and patience in these little guys. Hooray, pumpkins!


Getting these Black Krims for my garden this year was an adventure. The seeds are easy to come by, but the plants take some serious effort to find. I finally found this one in a one-weekend heirloom tomato sale in the parking lot of an iron factory in the industrial section of North Denver. It's been hailed on once and has already been discovered by beetles. This first little photogenic fruit has already been eaten by either a bird or a worm. But, it's alive and I'm hoping against hope the rest of the summer goes easier for it. My precious.

Surprisingly, my peaches have survived several snows and are growing away. I've had this tree for four years now and have yet to get even a single peach off of it. Here's hoping this year is the year. Please-oh-please-oh-please-oh-please...

Cherries are delicious. My trees are still very small and haven't found their legs yet. Each tree gets one or two fruits per year. You read that correctly. One or two fruits per tree. They're just silly. But, dang it, those two cherries are delicious.

I have two types of potatoes this year: Russets from the grocery store and German Butterballs. I planted these Russets about two years ago and they're just now popping up. I didn't even think that was possible. But, there they are, right on the edge of my asparagus patch. And, since the ground around them has become so packed in the last couple of years, I figured I'd try growing my spuds in a cage. They too have been discovered by the beetles, but I've been going beetle-picking every morning and so far I think it's helped to keep the damage under control. 


I fully intend to cover my entire chain link fence in white climbing roses. But, for now, I have this one. And, it is pretty. Lonely. But pretty.


The archway and staircase from the front yard into the garden. It looks so fancy all dressed up in early roses and a paper pompom garland!

And, finally, a place to sit and relax after I'm finished with all the weeding and trimming and watering and beetle hunting for the day.

1 comment:

Az Life and Style said...

Lovely garden! I wish I had one.

I am a follower from Etsy. Please
visit and follow my blog as well:
www.azlifeandstyle.com

Thank you,

Ali